Thursday, January 31, 2008

Music InDUSTry: Relationships

Relationships? That’s what the music inDUSTry was built upon right from beginning.

Most likely the 50s, or even the 40’s. It began with radio and labels having lunches,
dinners, or congregating at functions such as conventions. Great way to network.

The very foundation of the inDUSTry was pure and simple, who you knew and who you wanted to get to know. From there, you became ‘friends’ or at the very least good acquaintances.

Looking down the page, I described what has happened since 2004 with the
investigations and improprieties that help kill ‘Bambi’ (the inDUSTry).

Since then people have lost their jobs. Many people. Many have gone on to other
careers or jobs. Others have dropped down into the bowels of hard drug abuse,
spurring suicides, broken marriages and personal relationships, and other not
so good things.

Some persons would take a 50% or more reduction from their prior salaries just to
hang in there and remain part of an inDUSTry that was falling apart.

Radio persons due to consolidation became more scarce and trying to get a hold
of them isalmost nil nowadays.

The excuse. "Too busy", and wearing too many hats.

On the label side, one person is now doing the job of three. So, they have to outsource and hire independent contractors (indie promoters) to do the legwork to
help promote the music.

Funny, I did that in 1993-94 and again in 2002-2005. I was like many, honest and straightforward promoters and did nothing in the area the investigations were about.

But, it did have an effect on me, enough to have to sell my home in Los Angeles,
and move back to Phoenix after ten years.

So back to relationships. Since I returned I noticed that very few people have tried to stay in touch with me. I tried to with many, but after one conversation I could tell that the world that I used to know since the 70s had changed. Would we continue to stay in touch?

Frankly, on my end the answer would be yes. I suppose as I look back, I realized that
it didn’t happen. So that would be a no for the largest percentage.

E-mail address’ changed, and so did phone numbers. If that’s all you had for someone,
then it became a dead end.

No way to get in touch.

Then there is instant messaging. The majority of inDUSTrites used AOL.

On my AOL IM, I have well over 200 people. At one given part of most days excluding weekends there are at least 60-70 on at one time. As the day wears on into the evening the number lessens.

In the past week I have not opened up my AOL. I can’t figure out why, and have
no solid answer for it. Make’s me feel weird. Today I got back on.

Nobody IM’d me. lol

What used to be somewhat of an annoyance is no more. In the past year I’ve taken
notice that very few even use that anymore.

Don’t get me wrong though. I never felt that everyone that revolved around me
was a true friend. There were some, and probably more for me than others because
I am a communicator. I actually like having a conversation on the phone.

I always make myself available, unlike others who have a strict call time.

Sure I communicate through e-mail, maybe not as much as others, and I would use my
IM more but it seems that is becoming a white elephant very much like the telephone.

As we all get older, call me ‘old school’, but keeping up relationships is a healthy reason for keeping in tune with what each other is up to, and you never ever know what will come out
of a conversation.

Unfortunately, I am delusional because most people are so wrapped up in their own lives today, that they feel they do not have time to stay in touch.

Well, take it from me, the guy who always took your calls, called you, and was a good friend or acquaintance, IM’d you or answered your IM’s, and e-mails, a big FUCK YOU! I hope you
are enjoying the shrinkage of contact in your life.

I will always try and stay in touch, and keep a relationship, be it meaningful, or just a simple one forever. At least I tell myself that. lol

Here is the irony as I write this. Yesterday I get a mass e-mail from a true friend for years, Mike Mena. Awhile back his e-mail changed and his phone number too. I had no way to get in touch. Today I get an e-mail, another mass one from Eric Baker, who was not that close with but I always enjoyed our conversations. A good guy.

I called both earlier today. Now, lets see how long it takes for a return call?

Will they or won’t they?


Finally, for all those New Yorkers who voted for Elliott Spitzer for your Governor.

Thanks a heap of shit. The man is shallow and used the music inDUSTry to help him, because it made good media coverage.

But, Elliott you left a whole lot of blood along the way. :-(

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jonathan,

After years in this business the bad news is, you find out who your friends are.

The good news is, you find out who your friends are ;)

Love ya, my friend.

Kneale Mann

Leigh Feldman said...

what was your experience as a promoter like?

Anonymous said...

Damn, now I feel guilty! I think I'm more than a year overdue on giving you a shout. My bad. We'll talk soon. Hope all is well!

Scott Lowe
WHTG-FM Monmouth-Ocean, NJ

Anonymous said...

I need to reach Joel Klaiman!! Anyone help me!?!

Anonymous said...

Joel I need you to contact me~~

Kelli from Mass

buckypie68@yahoo.com