Monday, January 21, 2008

Music InDUSTry? Is there such thing anymore?

You will notice “DUST” in the headline. That’s pretty much what the once great inDUSTry has been reduced to. Dust particles floating around in the air.

I was using the reference as asteroids floating in space for a long time, based on the classic stand-up video game from the 80’s. But I kind of like ‘DUST’ better. Since 2004 the music business has tail spun into a non-inDUSTry. Those of us who have been involved and it was our life for many years sit back now and become critics of what happened.

Before I continue, there is no way in one column that I can get everything I want to say out, so this is just the beginning. I will name names, and circumstances, and tell the truth, nothing but the truth, so help me. Ok, at least I will try. :-)

The now governor of the state of New York, Elliot Spitzer used the music biz to ascend to his current throne. Oh, he could have taken something, say like the Pharmaceutical companies, who have much more to own up to than an industry that the common citizen could care less about. Does the music biz affect their daily lives? I think not.

According to legend Joel Klaiman, a longtime label Promotion Executive at a convention in Miami spoke with a woman somewhere where alcohol is served and in his hidden motive to hit on her, spewed a whole bunch of stuff on how the music biz worked. He of course cited the underbelly with its greed. The givers and takers. She was the assistant to the aforementioned Spitzer. That might be urban legend, but it is the story that was on top of all the other reasons of the invasion by politicians. Others will say it wasn’t Klaiman.

To me, Joel was a nice gut at one time who as time went by became just another asshole in a sea of others who started out with a good attitude and as time goes by, change their attitude and beliefs. They become power hungry assholes; just so they can make those very high six figure salaries.

Oh, and by the way, Klaiman was paid to go away for quite awhile. He then resurrects as head of Promotion for another label. Funny how things work, huh?

From that point the domino effect began. The investigations were long and maybe thorough. I say maybe, because none of us will ever know the real truth. Ironically they ended as Spitzer turned toward becoming Governor, exhausting his use as Attorney General. That assfuck ruined many peoples careers, and more important, their lives.

Again, does the public really give a shit about the music biz? Corruption is pretty much involved in every corporate business, as we all know. Hello…Enron!

I will take a break, and when I return, let’s discuss how the one thing that the music inDUSTry was built upon. Relationships.

Today, after a mere three years, relationships hardly exist. I will dissect that next. I should remind you all that it is not only inDUSTry peeps reading this. People from all over the world are.

Bye for now.

1 comment:

Woody Woodham said...

Cool blog bud! Yes there has to be a rating system for sleazy restaurants and I also agree that greed kind rules the day in a capitalistic world. At the same time I think that modern technology and the internet are doing what FM did to AM a long time ago and giving some of us an opportunity at exposure that could not exist before if one did not have the right contacts. At the end of the day though I still think that whoever can have the biggest marketing muscle (thus the ones w/ the big bucks) will prevail.